divorce lawyerDivorce is, unfortunately, another unavoidable fact of life these days. A divorce becomes final with the issuance of a divorce decree. There are times, however, when the divorce decree is no longer working, and you need a modification.

The motion for a divorce modification is typically filed within the same court that issued your decree. It is not an easy task to get a modification; hence, the best way is to get the services of a family lawyer in Wellington. Here are some aspects of your divorce that can be modified to suit your particular circumstances.


The financial position of the spouse receiving alimony can sometimes change, so they no longer need the financial support. This typically follows an increase in material wealth or income, living with a permanent partner or remarriage. In these instances, the court can terminate the payment of alimony. It can also decrease the amount if the paying spouse loses their means of income or has a pay reduction.

Child Support

The court could modify your child support if there are substantial circumstantial changes. Additional medical expenses for the child, for instance, might increase the child support amount. If the paying parent has another child to support, receives a pay cut, or loses their means of income, the amount of child support can be reduced.

Child Visitation and Custody

A child who is more than twelve years of age can petition the court on who he or she wishes to be the primary parent. The primary parent can also voluntarily relinquish their role. In these times, the court looks into the reasons for the request for modification and decide based on the best interests of the child.

READ  The Right Divorce Attorney: Qualities to Look for

Your divorce decree should be as comfortable as possible for both parties. You and your ex-partner might verbally agree to modify the terms of your divorce, but this agreement will not be legally enforceable. It is best to bring it to court to make it official.